Okay, so it’s Monday and I am already wishing for a “repeat of this weekend. The air is clean, dry and chilly! The fall foliage is at its peak in most of the northeast and mid-Atlantic states!This is the time of year for me, when I love being outside all.day. long. This was the first weekend, in a while, where there was time to do all things I love doing on a fall weekend!
Friday Miles- School let out two hours early, so I headed home to squeeze in a few miles. Sometimes those miles after school are just what I need to unwind from a crazy, hectic day with 4th graders. I don’t run with music, mostly because I am seeking silence after a day full of chatter!
Saturday Long RUn- The sunrise run did not happen. I lingered too long in bed on Saturday morning. It just felt so good to not have to wake up early because of other time commitments throughout the day. By the time I headed out of the house for my long run, the sun was at its warmest point in the day. I quickly peeled off my long sleeve shirt and capri leggings, in exchange for a sports bra and shorts. 62 degrees with sunny skies is still a bit warm for me.
11 miles total-not the 13 I was originally planning for, but still a good solid run!
1 mile warm up, followed by 3 miles at 8:50 pace, 3 miles at 8:30 pace, 2 miles at 8:20 pace and 2 miles at 9:05 pace. My pesky bunion on my right foot has been giving me some issues lately. Womp, womp. 🙁 I have been trying the KTTape (video) application for bunions.
Fuel on the run- Skratch Lab Energy Chews and Exercise Hydration The ingredients are all natural with a light and clean, crisp taste. The energy chews are fruity, but not sticky heavy in my mouth or stomach.
This run felt good, my legs and energy were strong and steady. I feel like all the hill work this summer and early September/October has really paid off!
**Two weeks till the Annapolis Classic Half Marathon**
Sunday Rest Day- Muffins and Soup- It must be that chilly fall weather, but I have been craving baked goods and warm, comforting soups. I have a ton of apples that I grabbed up from a local orchard when I was home in Maine last weekend!
Stonyfield Farms Recipe for Apple Pecan Muffins, but I omitted the pecans because I didn’t have any! I also used this awesome gluten free flour from Cup4Cup Flour found at Target instead of the white all purpose flour.
Warm and Comforting Soup
This Soup is so creamy thanks to the cannellini beans/White Beans and finely chopped cauliflower. I also added two heaping tablespoons of turmeric powder which has great anti-inflammatory benefits for runners!
Creamy Mushroom, Garlic, White Bean and Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 cup of finely chopped crimini and shitake mushrooms
- four cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 1 cup of raw cauliflower finely chopped
- 1 large raw carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can of white beans with liquid, plus 2 more cups of water
- 1 vegetable boullion cube
- 1/4 cup olive oil-for sauteing, adding another tablespoon or two at a time as you add the ingredients to the saute pan
- two tablespoons of butter
- sea salt to taste
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
- Trader Joe’s Season Salt to taste
- turmeric powder- two heaping tablespoons
Directions- one cooking pan- Le Crueset -My Go-To-Pan
- Heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil on medium heat, then saute the chopped garlic, shallots and carrots in olive oil on medium heat until the ingredients are golden brown-push to the sides of the heavy, medium sized deep covered saute pan
- add the chopped cauliflower and saute till lightly browned and tender
- then add the chopped mushrooms and saute, adding in another tablespoon two of olive oil
- Add the beans with liquid, plus two more cups water and the vegetable boullion cube!
- Cook everything with the lid on until everything is cooked and very tender, stir in the two tablespoons of butter!
- Use a hand held immersion blender to blend Some of the Soup, but not all – you just want to create some creaminess with the cauliflower and white beans
Fall weekends-chilly running weather, warm and comforting soups and yummy muffins! How was everyone’s weekend? Are you craving fall comfort food!!