Winter is slowly fading, the snow has melted and the sunsets are getting later each night! All those months of running, whether morning or night, in the cold dark hours has all led to spring and summer racing! It took me a moment to decide on some key races to fill my calendar with for the spring and summer months, but I am excited to share my racing plans!
Choices, Choices, Choices! How Does One Choose Which Races?
- Race location-the proximity to friends, family and scenic views is important to me.
- Race Course- Out and Back or Point to Point, flat, slightly hilly or major hills?!
- RaceCation Wow Factor-events to fill the race weekend, sights to see, running trails and routes to explore, and of course yummy restaurants!
- Race Course Swag and Course Support-hydration, fun and unique samples of products and coupons, along with a post-race party or gathering!
Yup! These are some key factors that go into my decisions when creating my race calendar! How about you?
- Leonardtown Hospice 10k– Saturday April 9th– The race offers a 5k or a 10k. This race is only 10 minutes from my house. The course is a rolling loop of country roads leading back into historic Leonardtown. Leashed dog and stroller friendly! Leonardtown is about two hours south of Washington, DC. This will be my 3rd time running this event!
- Cooking Light and Health FIT FOODIE Race Weekend– Fairfax, Virginia May 20th-22nd! This race was on my radar last year, but it didn’t fit with my schedule! The race is a 5k, but it is also about enjoying a weekend of food, health and fitness tips! Who doesn’t love delicious food! This will be my first time running this event! LiveFreeAndRun has a discount code to use when registering-LIVEFREERUN 10%discount!
- Zooma Annapolis Maryland 10k – Saturday June 4th-Really excited to be running with Zooma again this year for the 5th year! Click the link to read my race recap! Zooma Annapolis is a fun girls’ oriented weekend in historic downtown Annapolis! I have run both the 10k and half marathon in the past. Due to the heat, humidity and rolling hills- I have opted for the 10k this year. Use Code COLLEEN16 for 10% off either race distance-from LiveFreeAndRun
Summer Racing-It’s A Maine Thing!
Sadly, I no longer live in Maine right now, permanently, but. . . I am working on that! In the mean time, I have worked out my summer plans to include my Favorite coastal southern Maine races! Summers in Maine along the Atlantic ocean, lobster rolls and locally brewed beer -does it get any better?!
- Llbean July 4th 10k -Read Race Recap– July 4th- Race a 10k through the heart of Freeport, Maine-start and finish near LLBean Flagship store! Celebrate afterwards with eating and shopping in Freeport! Stay for the Freeport July 4th parade down Main Street! Still time to register!
- Shipyard Oldport Half Marathon– July 9th- I have run this event once in the past. I ran the 5k course with my daughter in 2014. The race starts and finishes along the historic working waterfront of Portland, Maine. The race course has views of Casco Bay. Who doesn’t love running along beautiful water views! Enjoy Shipyard Brewing company beer after the race! Race Discount Code KForrest for a savings at registration!
- Beach2Beacon 10K-Race Recap Here– August 6th-Cape Elizabeth, Maine- This is where I race my heart out every August! The point to point course finishes in front of picturesque Portland Headlight Light House! I have been lucky enough to have fast typing fingers for the past five years now! This is a BUCKETLIST race! The views are stunning!
So, there it is, my spring and summer racing plans! What are your racing plans? Any races on your calendar that you are stoked to run?